Thanks for joining in on our journey towards creating our forever family...

This is the place you can come to witness the adventures we experience as we adopt our child from the beautiful country of St. Vincent and the Grenadines. We hope you will come back often to learn about where we're at in the process, the culture of our child, our hopes and dreams, and to leave comments of encouragement.

Also, be sure to check out older posts by clicking on the link at the bottom of each page titled "older posts".

HOW OLD IS OUR PRECIOUS ASHA NOW???

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Saturday, September 4, 2010

MY BABY IS NO LONGER A BABY - IT'S OFFICIAL!!!

Today made me happy and sad all at the same time.  Happy because Asha is growing into such a smart, independent and charming little girl, but sad because she is no longer a baby. 

It seems like as soon as she turned two, a lot of the characteristics that made her my "baby" went out instantly like the candles on her cake (cheesy I know).  And although I am absolutely thrilled of the wonderful little person she is becoming, I don't want her to grow up... I am selfish I guess and I want her to stay a baby forever (minus the terrible two part of course).  

We have decided that Asha will be our only babe and so it's difficult to think I will not get to see each of these stages again.  I often feel like she is growing up TOO fast and that I cannot keep up.

So I take her down stairs for her nap today.  And you really have to get a sense of what the usual nap time routine is like for Asha.  Normally I warm her up a "magic bag" in the microwave; the bag consists of grains and scents that calm her and make her all warm and cozy.  We get her special blanket and I warm up her bottle (she calls it tea-tea which is a St. Vincent thing).  Then I take her to her room, turn on some soft lullaby music, cuddle her on my lap while I give her tea-tea and then put her in her bed.  I then sing the wheels on the bus, pat or rub her back a little, say goodnight and I love you's, leave and blow a kiss from outside of her room.  Then I close the door and she goes to sleep.  The whole routine usually takes about 15 minutes.  But... this is what it was like today:

I warmed up her magic bag, got her blanket and her bottle, took her down stairs and turned on the music.  Then when I went to sit by her bed to give her bottle, she threw her blanket down onto the bed with her warm bag and covered herself up with a blanket.  I then tried to give Asha her bottle and she said, "No Mama, Asha's a big girl, no tea-tea."  So I went to rub her back and say my goodnight's, sweet dreams and I love you's and she said, "Bye Mom".  Yep, that's what she said!  Bye Mom.  Guess I'm going to have to come to terms with this sooner than later. 

See, I told you all.  My baby is no longer a baby - it's official!!!     

2 comments:

Nana and Papa said...

Awwwww...
Asha will always be your baby...
I Love You, Des...

... said...

Awww... At least she left you the warm bag and bottle to comfort youself with :P

You really have to treasure each moment eh?.. growing so fast. Each new stage brings new precious moments though. Life can be a bit bitter sweet, but it's still so wonderful. Thanks for sharing such a sweet post on life as a mom.