Thanks for joining in on our journey towards creating our forever family...

This is the place you can come to witness the adventures we experience as we adopt our child from the beautiful country of St. Vincent and the Grenadines. We hope you will come back often to learn about where we're at in the process, the culture of our child, our hopes and dreams, and to leave comments of encouragement.

Also, be sure to check out older posts by clicking on the link at the bottom of each page titled "older posts".

HOW OLD IS OUR PRECIOUS ASHA NOW???

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Monday, January 18, 2010

I "ATTEMPTED" THE HAIR...

Unless you have had to style or brush through a dark person's hair, you have no idea!!!  Black hair is so terribly difficult to style and brush.  We will take 20 minutes or longer just to pick through Asha's hair (which we do at least three times a day) and a half an hour later it will be all tightly wound and knotted together again.  Scott's Mom always talks about how her hair forms perfect little "pea" curls. 

Caribbean people take pride in their looks and especially their hair and I want Asha to feel the same pride.  I have tried to do several things in her hair on several occasions, but she will not let me touch it for very long and any ribbons, bows or bands get ripped out almost as quickly as they go in.  Sometimes I wonder what other people - including Scott - think of my actions... I have even been so desperate at times that I will stop brown skinned people in the mall just to ask them how they do their hair or what products they use.  They often look at me like I am a stalker until I explain that I have a daughter and need some tips.  There is just not to much here for help and Asha has been blessed with the tightest curls imaginable. 

I say that I attempted Asha's hair because by far it does not look like Asha's hair did when some of my Caribbean friends styled it in St. Vincent.  But the important thing is that I tried and I can only get better right?


3 comments:

Marlene and Brian said...

I love it.... She looks so pretty... Great job....

Unknown said...

Hi Desiree, Thanks for sharing your adoption journey. I'm a former adoption social worker of Canadian/Caribbean descent. I applaud you for recognizing how important hair is to black women. I encourage you to connect with another mom or hair dresser who knows black hair. Every hair type has a personality of its own. There isn't a "magic product/formula" however with patience and practice you'll learn what works best for your daughter and will be able to teach her to care for and love the hair that God gifted her with. If you need some suggestions I'd be happy to share.

Best of love and success for your beautiful family!

Scott and Desiree Parisien said...

Hey Andrea, thanks for your comment.

Where in the Caribbean were you born?

It has been almost a year since I first posted about Asha's hair. I can say we've had our fair share of struggles with it. What seems to work the best is to put it in to extensions. Plus she really loves her braids.

Would love if you could give me some product ideas though. Everything we have tried has seemed to not be moisturizing enough for her dry hair. You can email me directly at openarms@sasktel.net.

Thanks again and blessings.

Desiree